Tuesday, March 2, 2010

NetherGRRRReatday!

Today was absolutely amazing. I love this kind of days. :)

First off, I decided to dress up and look cute. I received lots of compliments from both teachers and students. At first, I thought that there might be something wrong with the way I dressed because of how the teachers all looked at me, but it was all good. I didn't break any UGA dress code or anything. I guess I was just dressed really nice. 

The first thing I did today was videotape Ashton teaching. I've never seen her teach and our teaching styles are the complete opposite. I videotaped her for 30 minutes and I also have to fill out an observation form for her. She was really nervous because I was recording. It's for her class. Maybe I should get someone to record me as well just to put on my online portfolio (coming soon!). 

I also had a meeting with two students from my 4th years. I found out that one student is great at speaking English but has troubles with writing because of dyslexia. Er. Learning disabilities aren't my specialty at all. The other one had problems with grammar. Easy enough, right? They both want to meet once a week for 30 minutes. I told them that I will be emailing them different things to look at just because I didn't feel like 30 minutes is enough.

I met with one of the teachers I worked with and exchanged stories about our breaks. She really wants me to go to Romania and I do too. The flight ticket is more than $300 though. I wouldn't have to pay for housing. I would stay for a week and teach a Kindergarten class. It would be an amazing opportunity. We'll see if I can come up with the money.

For the past two days, I haven't been riding my bike because of my throat. I can't get dehydrated or else my throat will hurt really bad. So that means no cardio for me for a while unless I have a constant stream of water going down my throat. My mentor teacher called the doctor today to set up an appointment, and the doctor called back asking if it was still necessary for me to go see him! How ridiculous! 

Anyways, I taught two classes today even though my voice is hoarse and my throat sore. Fortunately, both classes went smoothly and I had so much fun with my students. :) Since I am working with a new set of 1st years, we did a lot of getting to know you activities. With my 5th years, I got another student to teach while I gave him my notes. Everyone seemed to enjoy the lesson plan. It was great. 

Even my mentor teacher was surprised at how attentive the 5th years were at 4:30 in the afternoon. I was very excited that I actually got the students to stay focused and work on their letters! Yay! Maybe I should lose my voice more often. Ha. Not.

We also got a new microwave! The other one just stopped working, but I'm so glad our caretaker responded quickly! 

Oh yeah! I got invited to participate in this project about WWII. Oh how I love WWII! We're going to different museums and this old prison camp. I'm so excited!

I also sat and talked to an English teacher (I will be observing one of her classes on a Wednesday) and a History teacher. We just talked about everything - mostly the "American Dream" and American culture. They had lots of questions for me. Then we started talking about Latino men (the English teacher is from a Spanish background), and how awesome they are. I shared my story of dating a Puerto Rican and it was such a great conversation. 

Talking about Puerto Ricans, I emailed him today about a ticket that we credited last year. I wanted to go ahead and book my trip to Vegas and I needed the confirmation letter. And as silly as I am, I wrote on the bottom of the email that I still loved him just in case he was wondering, and if not, disregard and ignore. Ha. I just expected a forwarded email, and no message with it....but guess what? There was a message with the forwarded email. Oh, how I miss him! 


Steven gets here in three days!!! I'm so ready for him to get here already!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment