Saturday, March 6, 2010

NetherAmsterdam!

I finally went to the doctor and the diagnosis is: throat infection and fever

I am now supposed to take antibiotics 3 times a day for a whole week....and my voice will be back! Yay!

The doctor's office was in a really cool building that is shaped like a paper clip! The doctor was super nice, and I only waited five minutes! I also didn't have to pay for anything...which I thought was a little weird. I think my mentor teacher picked up my medicine for me since I was going to Amsterdam for the rest of the day.

Amsterdam - first impression: really dirty....like no one believed in taking the trash out so the trashcans are all full and trash is everywhere. :(


Ashton and I explored in the morning, bought souvenirs, saw really cool things - Amsterdam is such an awesome city. It's very touristy - and there were lots of Americans --- I thought I would be excited finally knowing what is being said, but instead I found it annoying....


We went on a free walking tour - it is known as one of the best walking tours. The weather was horrible, meaning it was cold and rainy. We went through the red light district which was not as bad as I thought it would. In the middle of the red light district is a huge church! After committing sins, you can go repent it at church. The famous windows with girls weren't very impressive. It was interesting seeing prostitution in that kind of way - and the girls weren't very pretty. They were hmm...ok to say the least. There were also tons of smart shops and coffee shops. All of the souvenir stores had marijuana things on them. It was like being in a different world. 


By the way, the ages of the prostitutes are from 18 to 73 years old! Crazy, huh? Oh yea, the tour guide was from Australia and was amusing! His accent was kinda hot. Ha. 


Then, we picked up Steven at the airport - we waited 30 minutes for him because we were early and we caught happy hour at the bar! Buy 1 drink, get 1 free! So of course, I got my wine, and Ashton got her beer. The atmosphere was great. After Steven arrived, we just sat and talked and watched people. 


On the way to Rotterdam, we accidentally got on the hispeed train and had to pay 6 euros extra. Ugh. It sucked. 


Also, I got asked out on a coffee date before I left for Amsterdam by this Dutch guy. It was flattering. :) 


Needless to say, we were hot messes for the day and night. We ate so much food....

No comments:

Post a Comment