Monday, March 29, 2010

Nether-Delft

So the time changed today - an hour ahead. And so, once again we're 6 hours ahead from the US. 


I didn't realize the time changed until I got to church. I arrived on time (10:30 am) and was so confused at church because they already started taking the collection. It was bad enough that the mass was all in Dutch, so I sat at church sooo confused. 


The Filipino woman I met a while back saw me and introduced me to another Filipino. The lady asked me if I wanted to go to the Vatican City for Easter weekend for 220 euros. I would have gone because I would have seen the Pope, but I don't have any more money. :( Anyways, the Filipino lady told me that the time changed when I asked her what time the mass started. Whoops. 


I also felt really bad since i haven't been going to church because of all the traveling that I've done. I really have forgotten almost everything which scared the crap out of me. :(


That was my morning. 


Another thing that I think is really funny is that I have a phone, but I don't have any more minutes which means that people can call me and text me, but I can't respond. I have at least 8 voicemail, I just refuse to buy any more minutes because I won't use them. So people are probably thinking I'm ignoring them. Oh well. 


At two, Gene and Marcel came and picked us up at our apartment. Gene is one of Ashton's mentor teachers, and I really didn't know much about her, but she's awesome. :) They don't have any kids, and they look so happy together. The more I stay here, the more I don't want any kids. 


Anyways, we arrive in Delft, a college town. A famous technical university is located there so it is a college town. Most of the students are boys, so Gene told me that Delft is the place to be if you're looking for a Dutch man. Ha. Anyways, Delft was gorgeous, of course! Apparently, lots of tourists visit Delft. We were also introduced to the Royal Delftware, which is beautiful and very expensive. The weather started out a little icky, but turned beautiful with the sun out and everything. 


Gene and Marcel gave us a free walking tour around Delft, and it was very nice. I'm starting to really like the Dutch culture. They love getting coffee and apple pie. Yummy. We sat outside because the weather was great. After walking around, we went to this bar where they played live jazz music. It was such a nice atmosphere, and we had beer and bitterball. It was so much fun hanging out with them. 


Gene also exposed me to Leiden University in Leiden. I'm seriously thinking about getting my master's there if I get a scholarship. I'm visiting the university on Wednesday, something I'm so excited about! 


So needless to say, the weekend was a success, and I started missing The Netherlands more even though I'm still here...

No comments:

Post a Comment