Sunday, March 21, 2010

Irish luck!

Dublin, Ireland has become my favorite! 

3.19.10
Actually, instead of having luck during my trip to Ireland, I had everything but. 
1. I got on the train and completely missed the memo that I had to transfer trains to get to the airport. (I was upset that I couldn't understand Dutch and know what the announcements in the train are.)
2. I had to take a taxi to the airport and it cost me 35 euros. I was stuck with a taxi driver who talked about smoking hash everyday and how he's quit -- this past Monday. I didn't really believe him after he accidentally said that he smoked on Thursday. Ugh. 
3. After I finally arrive at the airport, it was too late to check in so I had to wait in line for 15 minutes to finally get help. The lady was super nice to run with me to get me past the passport check before I missed my flight.
4. So I was one of those people who ran in the airport ---- it was at least a 10 minute run, who would've known Schiphol is huge?! I had to take a break in between!
5. When I finally arrived at my gate, there was a long line still. I got anxious because the line wasn't moving so I asked it was going to Dublin. Of course, it is! 
6. Our flight was delayed because of security reasons. Whoa. 
7. I did talk to a really nice Irish woman about all the fun things to do in Dublin.Apparently a huge rugby game was playing in Dublin, and the weekend is supposed to get crazy. 
8. As I went through security, this really cute guy tried to flirt with me, and I completely overlooked it and just smiled. Whoa. 
9. As I approached my window seat, I realize that this man already took my seat. :(
10. I finally arrive at Dublin - supposed to be raining so I only wore and brought my rain boots. (Didn't rain at all the whole weekend!)
11. The first thing I see is a Scottish man playing his bagpipes with a kilt on! 
12. I got on 16A bus to my hostel and it took more than an hour to get there. (the whole time I was sitting, a guy had his crotch on my face. Ugh) Delay, delay, delay!
13. I grabbed food at this store, checked in my hostel and got told to wait because my room wasn't cleaned yet. 
14. I walked around the other side of the city and bought four books! Push being one of them! I also mailed postcards to my family and H130 guys. 
15. Met two Asian girls who invited me to go out with them - didn't do it. I'm such a lame now. 
16. Boys in the room were obnoxiously loud. 
17. Girls came in at night and complained about how dirty the room was. 
18. Read Redeeming Love for the night. :) 
19. Ireland lost the rugby game against Scotland

**bought a converter....completely forgot that Ireland's outlets are like UK's---oh yea, got my passport stamped! and the guy complimented me saying I was too pretty to be teaching and that he wouldn't be able to focus. whoa. ***


3.20.10
- woke up early to walk around and explore
- found a souvenir shop and bought some stuff
- also went in a couple of thrift stores (for some reason, I always go in those kinds of stores to see if I could find something)
- took pictures of lots of lots of buildings
- Free Walking Tour at 11am - amazing! (I actually stayed the whole 3 hours!)  I learned so much and completely fell in love with Dublin.
- bought three dresses! :)
- had a sausage roll and hot chocolate for lunch
- loved walking down Temple Bar: absolutely amazing atmosphere
- went window shopping :)
- received prayers from this Christian group: very touching prayer
- went to a Cathedral to pray and got interrupted by a homeless person for money (it confused me because I didn't know if I should give him money or not since I was in a godly place...i ended up being more annoyed than helpful. oh no.)
- went to Guinness Storehouse and poured my own pint! also got a hotdog 
- bought souvenirs at the storehouse
- went to a market and had a conversation with a man who claimed that he knows all nationalities (he didn't think I was Filipino because I was tall and skinny. according to him, Filipinos are short and fat. If he only knew...)
- went back to the hostel and made more new friends (1 from Russia, 1 from France, 1 from Canada, 2 from Brazil, and 2 from Germany) 
- got asked to go out that night and turned it down: instead, I read :) 
- very busy day


3.21.10
- woke up early to go to the airport  through air coach
- Irish man sat next to me and we talked the whole way - he was on his way to watch the rugby game between manchester and liverpool, if I'm not mistaken
- arrived an hour and a half early to prevent missing the flight
- breakfast at mcdonalds :)
- finished Redeeming Love
- bought a lot of liquors and more souvenirs - for who? I don't know. 
- made it to the gate, one of the first ones to get on
- after 20 minutes, got told that there was something wrong with the plane and we had to get off and switch
- so once again, the flight was delayed by an hour
- when I finally arrive at amsterdam, i try to buy a train ticket and i couldn't use my debit card
- so instead of worrying about it, i went to eat at burger king 
- got home, talked to Ashton, unpacked, and started reading Push by Sapphire
- heated up food, finished my apple pie, and finished Push!
- so glad to be home! 

Observations:
> Irish people do love to drink and talk about drinking: definitely live up to their reputation
> I loved the Irish accent, and all the red-heads! 
> Lots of young students I saw had school uniforms: it reminded me of attending a Catholic school in the Philippines
> the lanes for driving are the opposites 
> People were really friendly...like giving their seats on the bus to the elders.
> Dublin had a euro menu like the dollar menu at Mcdonalds. 
> I really liked traveling by myself --- it was definitely a great first experience. :)


Today, I'm gonna try to mend a broken relationship with an ex-best friend of mine. We'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment