Saturday, March 27, 2010

Nether-Dordrecht & Kinderdijk

Today was amazing! I realized just how much I'm going to miss The Netherlands. It's such a great country...

Anyways, I woke up at 5 am this morning to 6 voicemail messages from my parents freaking out about Duffy biting my little sister's face. I was livid. There should be no reason why Duffy is biting anyone. Ugh. I'm so disappointed in him.


Well, I went back to sleep and got ready for the trip to Dordrecht and Kinderdijk. We arrived at the fast ferry stop near the Erasmus bridge and got on to get to Dordrecht. It was only 4.40 euros for an hour boat ride, and it was a pretty satisfying ride. We arrive in Dordrecht and met up with the teachers, Frank and Roger. 


First, of course, we went to a cafe to have a cup of coffee and a slice of apple pie. Yummy! :) Way to start a day off! Then, we walked to the windmill in Dordrecht and went up the windmill! Apparently, you can have a party inside or even have a wedding inside! It was too cool, and I was too excited. I also bought several souvenirs that I think my cousin and my aunt would love! This windmill was used to make flour. :) 


After looking at the view from the top of the windmill, we went to a second-hand store to look at antiques. I really like just looking. There were a lot of cool things, and the owner was super nice. Then, we walked through Dordrecht, and received more information about the city from the two wonderful teachers. 


We stopped by at this restaurant where they specifically sell poffertjes which are small pancakes drowning in butter and powdered sugar. Whoa. I like fatty foods, but this was a little too much. 


All Ashton and I could think about was walking off the million calories that we just ate, and we ended up at the tower of the reformed Catholic church. The stairs were so narrow and it seemed to go on forever, but the trip upstairs was definitely worth it. The view of Dordrecht was absolutely breath-taking. 


Windmills was our next stop. Everyone has been telling us to go to Kinderdijk where there are 22 windmills. And as you all know, Netherlands is known for their windmills. Well, people actually live in the windmills which I thought was very interesting! The weather and the view was perfect. We took Roger's car to get to Kinderdijk. 


Oh, before we went to the windmills, we made a bathroom stop at Roger's place. Roger's house is huge for one person, and the kitchen was downstairs! We also went to Frank's house where he showed us his hobby, miniature train station with towns all around! It was impressive!


To end our day, we ate at a Chinese-Indonesian Restaurant where we ordered a lot of food! Of course, i stuff my face and was the last person eating, and I impressed Frank and Roger with my ability to have a bottomless pit and keep eating. Ha. I was a bit embarrassed, but I couldn't stop eating! Very American! Haha.


On our way home, we took the train because it was too late to catch the fast ferry. Frank ended up buying our tickets back home, and we felt bad because the two teachers already paid for everything the whole day. So Ashton and I have decided that we're putting the money in his mailbox at school. :) 


So yes, I had a very relaxing day. I spent the whole day outside enjoying the weather. It was more than I could ask for.


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment