Monday, January 18, 2010

Netherteaching

I'm at a disadvantage. 

I taught today for the first time, and I wanted to take advantage of my first day teaching by getting to know the students, talking about rules and expectations, and showing them the difference between social English and academic English. 

Everything is going well, I got most of the students' attention, except for two. Even the 18 year old student kept quiet, participated, and totally respected me. In every classroom, there will always be that one or two students that make the teaching experience really frustrating and hard. 

I say that I'm at a disadvantage because I don't know Dutch. A student decided that he would speak to me in Dutch knowing that I didn't understand the language. Another student made side remarks in Dutch, and my mentor teacher had to send him out. I didn't even know he was making rude comments until my mentor teacher told me the reason she sent him out. 

It's just disheartening, and I'm highly disappointed...in myself. I feel like I can't ask these students to just speak English, because I am in their country. I kept my composure the whole class, but after, I broke down. I always do this though, after first time of teaching. I'm too much of a perfectionist, and expect everything to turn out perfect. How am I suppose to control high school students who dislike being at school? 

I'm teaching again on Thursday, and I'm actually looking forward to it. I'm nervous, but I do feel that once I understand and get to know my students, they'd want to do good work for me. I guess this is how I know I'm destined to be a teacher, I refuse to give up...and the feeling of teaching is just amazing. :)

I have to stay positive. I've been looking at plane tickets to Malaysia, and it's quite expensive so the trip might be postponed which is a bummer. I'm going to keep looking. 

Oh yeah, be proud. I cooked dinner Sunday night, Hutspot - traditional Dutch food! Today, I ate leftovers of Hutspot and Grilled Cheese - I also had tomato soup and cheese bread! So, Kirk, I am eating more than peanut butter. Lol. 

I've talked to my bf, and he makes me smile. He just refuses to fight with me, and I tell him that we're too happy. Lol. Eh. I was bored. He loves me, so it's all good. I miss my pups like crazy. I wish I could fly them here. 

Tomorrow, I'm getting my VISA. I was so excited when I could take out 500 Euros out of the ATM. I really want to take out all of my money from my bank in the US and just have cash with me. My bank charges the hell out of me every time I use my debit card or withdraw from the ATM. :( 

Hopefully, I get a bike soon. Yay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment