Friday, January 8, 2010

Nether-American Assumptions

Today was eventful (like every day) and I got a lot of classroom experience with the grade levels that I am accustomed to.

Students learn English through instruction at school, but also from watching tons of shows and movies and listening to our kinds of music. You can only imagine what the students think about America.

I introduced myself to the students (I was in four different classes today), and the students had a chance to ask questions about the American culture. And whoa, their assumptions just sprang through!

Most students asked if the US was just like the movies, about bullying, the metal detectors, the different places, racism, and the curse words. Students thought that that was how we spoke...just a lot of "fuck" and "shit." Which was totally demeaning to me. I was so upset about what they thought about us just from watching movies and listening to music.

I'm scared to ask what they really thought about my country....the assumptions were disheartening and the English teacher I was working with told me to emphasize that the media is NOT how the US is.

I mean, sure we have lots of problems...but we are not a bad country who talks so vulgar and offensive. I loved the students, and I wasn't upset with them...I was just upset about how media makes us look.

It also got to me when they asked if I spoke another language, of course I couldn't lie to them and say yes...but it just upset me so much that here I am teaching them another language when I don't speak more than one.

I feel so much better with teaching because it is the age group that I am used to, but it's just an eye opening experience today because of the assumptions they had about the US. I'm always so used to Americans having assumptions about other cultures that I completely ignored what other people's assumptions are about Americans.

I'm finished with my day. I think I'll go to the supermarket again. I was a bit frustrated this morning about the public transportation. I started out with 20 euros in my card on Tuesday and now I don't have any, and it's only Friday! I have no idea how I could have spent all of that in a matter of four days. If that's the case, I will be broke by March just because of transportation!

I'm hoping to have internet in my room sometime soon. Hopefully, today when I go try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment