Sunday, January 31, 2010

Nether-gay

And here comes the weekend...

Saturday was a beautiful day! The sun was out, there were no clouds - and it snowed overnight. The sight of Rotterdam was gorgeous. :) I love these days. 

Anyways, I went to a Zumba class - and I got to practice all the hip moves and popping while getting my cardio on! The class was taught in Dutch, which by this time, I'm already used to it. (I'm known as the girl who only speaks English in my gym. Ha.) The gym is owned by Mister Universe, btw. (who has the cutest little girl and puppy!) I came home feeling good because I ran to the gym and back to my apartment and up the stairs. Great stuff, I tell you. I'm determined to impress myself by the end of this trip. It should be rewarding. 

As the day goes on, my roommate and I went cycling around town and went into two museums - Wereldmuseum and Museum van Boijmans Beuningen. We also went through Witte de With, which is a very hip street where apparently everything happens. We also went to Hotel New York, where in the past that was the stopping point for people migrating to New York. Yes, indeed it was a very productive day, and we took advantage of the nice weather. :)

Be proud. We went out Saturday night...finally. Guess where we went? Gay Palace, of course! I was literally in heaven being surrounded by gay boys, and then it made me miss all of my gay friends. :( My roommate and I are taking turns with the night clubs - went to the gay bar for her (yes, she's a lesbian) and going to a straight bar this coming Saturday! How did we get to the club, you ask? We cycled of course! It was great. Ha. We dreaded it, and tried to talk ourselves into staying at home - BUT we've been here for weeks and we still haven't gone out!

Gay Palace - you can't miss it, it's got the name in huge and bold letters outside of the building. Not only did we dance the night away, but I got hit on (by a guy!). Whoa, right? So for me to get rid of him, I sat down next to my roommate and told him that she was my girlfriend. Caught her off guard and she sucked as my girlfriend because he didn't leave. Haha. I also met a drag, her name is Nichole and she was interesting to look at. She spoke to me (in her guy voice, of course) in Dutch at first, and it was cute because she saw me yawn. I was exhausted and it was only 2am. The club is open until 5:30. Whoa. No, we didn't stay out that late. Bad idea. This night, I was also reunited with my best friend, Jose Cuervo. :)

The International Film Festival is still going on, and I still haven't watched one movie! I will watch a movie so that I can say that I went to the film festival! Maybe tomorrow. 

Sunday was also another productive day. I finally went to church! Everything was in Dutch, but I understood what was going on and even read along the readings in Dutch. The songs that the choir sang were in English though. It's a huge church, and there were plenty of empty pews. :(  I cycled to church - yet another beautiful (and cold!) day. After church, I went to the gym and ran my life away until I couldn't anymore (meaning 30 minutes later...haha). Then, I went to the grocery store to buy bread, milk, and a big bag of french fries! Dutch people shop at least once a week. In America, we buy in bulks and there are times where we wouldn't go grocery shopping for weeks. 

Last night, I was eating a peanut butter sandwich when I realized the bread had mold. By that time, I already ate two slices. Ew, right? Oh well. 


I also think I'm getting sick. All the cycling and running outside is giving me a cold which sucks because here, they don't have cold medicine. We just have to suck it up. 


Oh! And I finished my lesson plan for 11 days over verbal practice and 4 days over pronunciation! I'm in a good mood. I hope this lasts a while. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment