Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Netherchaotic

I was invited to go visit this university with a group of 3rd years. Little did I know that I was actually going to lead a group of students whom I've never seen and had little respect for little ol' me. I guess looking young and looking like one of the students mean I don't get looked at as a teacher. Grrreeeat. 

Anyways, there were 125 students that were with us, and surprisingly we took the public transportation. My only concern was that students could just get off anytime....and some did. We took the tram, then the subway. Subway was chaotic! The way the system works is that you scan your card and go through the gate, one person at a time. What the students did was push each other to go through and not pay. Shockingly, I was pushed hard by one of the students so they can enter the same time as me. Not only did she not apologize, but she laughed and told her friends. It all happened so fast, that I didn't have time to react. :(

Finally, we arrived at Hogeschool Rotterdam where the 3rd years had an orientation about the school. They choose which group they want to be in like - like Economics, Art and Culture, subjects that they're interested in. They had three sessions about classes that were offered. The presenters complained about the students, which made the other teachers embarrassed. 

One good thing is that I made a friend, and of course, she likes to go out and have a "nice" time, as they would say it in The Netherlands. We exchanged phone numbers and we have to make an "appointment" with them, another phrase used a lot here. 

Breaking news from home life: My boyfriend and I broke up. I really don't know what else to say except that I'm still madly in love with him, and I'm scared of losing him forever. It was my decision - to give me time to really want to be in the relationship with him. I felt like all he did was reassure me and persuade me to be with him. He wants me to take this time to really want to be with him. It makes sense, but it's such a bummer. Almost three years later....and I just don't know what to do.


"In the end, everything is going to be alright. If it's not alright, it's not the end."

1 comment:

  1. Hi trdeanon!

    I teach at the Rotterdam University of applied Sciences (got a Google alert on "hogeschool Rotterdam :-)

    it's very nice to read about your expierences (they remind me of my own abroad :-). I wish my students learned as much.

    keep it up! experience what you can. it will change you forever.

    great closing quote. I wrote it up.

    take care,
    Ernst

    ReplyDelete