Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Nethercrap!

Crap #1: I had to pay 433 euros for a 6-month visa when I had the impression that it would be a year visa. So I'm going back early tomorrow morning to get an explanation.

Crap #2: I have already spent $1700 in three weeks.

Crap #3: I have to provide a 10-session lessons on pronunciation - um, I still have a hard time with pronunciation. ---- definitely a challenge.

Crap #4: The school has no bikes that my roommate and I could use, so we have to buy a bike ourselves...which would cost close to $100 or more. (It'll be cheaper than spending $120 a month for public transportation.)

Crap #5: There was this huge pile of crap on the sidewalk of Rotterdam...the poop really takes away from all the beautiful scenery. Blah.

Now on to different things!

1. The classrooms have no technology in the room because the money is spent on field trips. They only have one room with a smart board so far. They do have computer rooms though that teachers have to book in advance. This just means I have to be extra creative with my students.
2. The way Dutch people give directions is this: "You go left, then you keep walking and walking, then you turn right, then you walk some more, then turn left, and the store is right there on your right." No street names, it's kind of funny.
3. I'm teaching 5th years, and this is an exam year, so that means that students don't get grades which leads to no motivation to do their school work while in the classroom. I really have to catch their attention.
4. I'm teaching two classes on Thursday and getting my first evaluation from my mentor teacher. I'm also teaching about junk food vs healthy food on Tuesday and will also be getting an evaluation from one of the teachers that I'm working with. I'm super excited. :)
5. I'm going to observe an American International School here in Rotterdam next Friday, and hopefully teaching and networking. The American woman that I met my first week here pushed for me to be able to observe and teach. She's got some major skills, and is well known here. Yay. :)
6. Today, I got asked by a student if we had clogs in Georgia. She made me smile.
7. I absolutely love my mentor teacher. She teaches both of my areas and her favorite color is green! She's so much fun to talk to as well. Again, I'm super lucky.
8. I looked up intensive language classes so that I can learn Dutch -- and it will cost 685 euros -- I'm scared to convert it to dollars. Ha.
9. I HAVE TO STAY POSITIVE. EVERYTHING WILL BE JUST FINE. :)

10. I miss my family and dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment