Monday, January 11, 2010

NetherMonday

Question of the day: "Do you know where the Philippine Islands are?"
Answer of the day: "Of course I know where it is, I'm not American."

Whoa. A student today asked me where I'm originally from, and that was his answer. Smart kid, right? He's got so much angry feelings towards America...and I did talk to him about it. He's pretty intelligent, and I respected his opinion, although I did encourage him to go to the US and see how it's really like.

Today has been really hectic. Just full of classes and meetings. I have to attend every meeting that my mentor teacher attends..unfortunately it's all in Dutch. I really want to learn so that I can understand. Today was a training kind of meeting, to give more instruction on how to become better language teachers. The bit that was translated for me was interesting, but my mentor teacher decided that I shouldn't stay the whole time because it was pointless. The teachers didn't feel like they were getting anything out of it.

I went to the grocery store and bought more bread, and I think I might cook tonight. I learned this Dutch recipe which is really easy...but then peanut butter sandwich is easier. I really have to start learning how to cook.

I forgot to mention in my other blog that last night, I walked home from downtown Rotterdam, and had to cross the huge bridge. I was scared at first because it was 10:30 at night, but the view was absolutely breath-taking. And there were people walking as well, so I wasn't alone.

....I really like walking. I feel like that is my exercise. I just have to get some soles for my shoes to keep my feet warm. All the shoes that I brought were wrong...but hopefully I can wear them during March or so when it is warmer.

I will start teaching next week, which is really exciting! I will teach high school students so it's nerve wrecking, but I'm up for the challenge!!!!! However, I will still teach middle school students on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and sometimes Fridays. My schedule is so different here.

Also, I was invited to go to Antwerp, Belgium on the 22nd of this month with an English class! So I'm going!!!!!!!!!!! How exciting!

My roommate is arriving in less than three hours! AM will be picking me up at 6:30 to go to her band practice, then at 7:45, we'll be heading to Rotterdam Airport!!!!

Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment