Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Netherteaching

Teaching is like a rollercoaster - there are high points and low points - but it's never boring. Everyday is different, and I love it. 

Monday, I had one of my days but Tuesday was absolutely one of the greatest days I've had. Granted, I did work with a different group on Tuesday - I was with the younger groups, and I just remembered again why I loved teaching. 

One of the teachers I worked with had to substitute a 2nd year math class, and she wanted me to introduce myself to them. I had so much fun talking to them, and the class enjoyed my sense of humor. 

Some of the questions that I was asked today:
1. Are you going to Amsterdam to go smoke weed?
2. Are there a lot of hookers in America?
3. What kind of boys do you like? 
4. How old are you? (I always tell them to guess b/c normally students say 18, which I love, but this time someone said 28...whoa.)
5. Are you rich?


We had such a lively discussion. It was soo much fun talking to them. 


**Note** When someone is a substitute, normally they are in the classroom and the teacher leaves an assignment or whatever. Here, you do watch the students but there is no work. The substitute has to find something for them to do. This 2nd year class that I visited was a math class, yet we worked on English. Ha. 


Also, this teacher found out that two teachers from the English department are quitting (including my mentor teacher) and she told me that I needed to take over one of the spots and work there. That's pretty awesome that she thinks that. I really want to, but I think me not knowing Dutch is a huge problem. 


Remember when I wrote about the English program that I'm working on with a teacher after school? Well, apparently our letter has already been distributed to teachers, but they still haven't told their students about it. The teacher and I wanted to personally invite students to come after school for help, but my overseas coordinator opposed the idea and wanted the teachers to do it. It's so frustrating when we're doing so much work and nobody wants to take advantage. Ugh. 


I taught one of my pronunciation classes today as well. Before we started, I got the students to make name plates so I can start remembering their names. I just started teaching this class so the students are new to me. We worked on /th/ - voiced and voiceless..../sh/ /wh/ /ch/. They took notes on their foldables, sang a song with me, practiced, and played bingo! It was fun. The students were so attentive. 


I started my dialogue journals today too with my 4th years. I only have 6 students participating right now, which is completely fine by me b/c I think all 28 students might be too much work. I also talked to the Spanish teacher and she will be giving me a list of things to do in Barcelona! 


My bicycle light won't work anymore, and I don't know why. I ate a ridiculous amount of french fries and mayo - their mayo here is totally different. 


And, Stevon and I are having a hard time booking a flight to Alghero, Italy in Sardinia...our cards won't work and we don't know why. It's so frustrating. As long as we have rome to go to, I think we'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment