Sunday, February 14, 2010

Netherbusybusybusy!

Saturday: 
1. Open School Day - 9:30-12:30
*Open School Day is when the school tries to persuade perspective students to choose our school for their secondary education* Every subject had a room, and teachers decorated it to make it more appealing. I was with the English teachers, and the parents loved the idea of having an American student teacher in the classroom. :) I even spoke to some parents and students in English - one talked to me in Dutch, and I got to practice what I knew. It was awesome. After 12:30, there were food, wine, and drinks for the teacher. Calvijn definitely takes good care of their teachers. (Also, I've been telling everyone I talked to and meet that I'm looking for a teaching position.) 


2. Oud-Beijerland - the whole day and night
*Oud-Beijerland is called a village and one of the teachers I worked with invited me over to meet her family and have dinner with them. Amazing family + amazing food + religious = awesome time. We went to the center to go food shopping and show me around. Then, my teacher cooked Romanian food (she's Romanian married to a Dutch man, and they have precious kids!) She got me to try out a lot of new things like old cheese, French cheese, and healthy Dutch snacks. (I'm definitely bringing some back home to the US.) We talked a lot about education issues, God, and life in general. I stayed until 11:30pm just talking with them. It was such a great time. 


*NOTE* For Lent this year, I want to have a better relationship with God and to try and live the life that he wants me to live. I finally found the support system that I've been needing. I'm scared and excited at the same time. :)


Sunday: Whoa!
1. Original plan: work out, church, grocery shopping, carnival

2. What actually happened: work out, church, hung out with new people, grocery shopping, carnival

3. New people - Filipinos - I don't want to jump into conclusions or make any assumptions, but I seriously think that I just hung out with two former prostitutes and their pimp. He was called Big Daddy. Whoa. The lady I met at church answered my question of "why the Netherlands?" by saying "well, you know how the stories go." The only story I've heard about Filipinos here are that a lot moved here because of prostitution. *holds breath*

4. The food they gave me was good, though. Hahahahah. I miss Filipino food. 


5. Ashton and I went to Breda for the Carnival for the experience, and it was crazy!!!! Lots of costumes, floats, people, beer, and confetti everywhere on the streets! I would hate to be the one to clean up...I did partake in the parade which was awesome!!


This was my weekend in a nut shell. Good stuff, and definitely the most interesting Valentine's Day ever...and I got a cute email from the one I love most. :)


By the way, I think I'm adding Romania in my list of countries to visit. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment