Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Netherpop

Tuesday: 2nd day of teaching 

1st years: It was my last session with this group of kids so I wanted to go out in a bang - we had a pop quiz! I bought balloons and treats for all of them since there were only 12 students. We went over everything that I've taught them - short/long vowels, voiced/voiceless /th/, the sounds of /ch/ /sh/ and /wh/, silent letters and /c/ /k/. I glued more handouts in their foldables so that they have something to look at after. The students also did an evaluation and all of them gave me a 5 - which is really good! I was super excited! 

5h3: I played a game with them concerning common mistakes in English. I divided the class up in 5 groups and got the groups to tell me what they thought the answers were. They participated for a while, but the last ten minutes, they got off task. The statements seemed too easy - they did have problems with spelling though. 

5h4: I played a game with them also, but changed how we played it. Instead of dividing the class into five groups, I divided them into two groups. Instead of me writing the answers on the board, I got the students to do it for me. It was a race - the first person to write the correct answer on the board got a point. It was great although I had one student who said why the fastest one got the point and not the person who got it correct - and I told him, it was just a fun way to learn quickly.

With both classes, I also gave them a handout with all of the common mistakes and wrote an explanation on the back. Hopefully, they look into it and do well on their writing exam coming up in March.

My mentor teacher really liked the fact that I changed the game because I had problems with the first one. Since both 5th years are learning the same thing, I could teach the same way, but I never do. I have to give myself extra work, you know. Ha.

I rode Ashton's bike today since my bike is dead right now. I have to get it fixed. I also had to hurry and go to the store to buy balloons and candies.

I'm super tired. I didn't get to work out. I passed out at 7. I've been so lazy with working out. Not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment