Saturday, February 6, 2010

Netherminustwodays

I keep forgetting to write every night. Ugh. 

Thursday: I taught my other 5th year class about argumentative essays, and I was very impressed with the lively discussion we had with some of the most controversial topics. The other 5th year class participated but not as much as this one. My activity - four corners - turned into a discussion that was amazing. I love that class! For my 4th years, they had a literature test over the different things that they've been reading. My mentor teacher reviewed with them the different terms they needed to know - and basically gave them the answers. You would think they'd do well, but no. Almost none of them studied - one of the students told me that he had a religion test so he studied for that one instead. I'm a bit frustrated because these students won't give me or my mentor teacher a chance to get them interested in English. They underestimate the English language and say that it is easy, but they have so many problems. For my other 5th year class, we gave them back their argumentative essays with comments and suggestions. One student used "bullshit" and others contradicted themselves. The level of English was just a bit frustrating. One student had problems with subject and verb agreement, and I promised to help him. I'm doing everything I can to show them that I care about them learning, and I'm not giving up on them. One of the students was absent that day and I have to come up with a good deal for him to write an essay at home. It's ridiculous how they refuse to do homework - and I can't force them. 


Anyways, on the bright side, I booked my Ireland trip! I'm officially going to Ireland for my birthday weekend ALONE! The thought makes me nervous but so excited about visiting Europe by myself. Today is our two week mark until Paris and Barcelona!


I also had to babysit for the American woman that I met. Her and her husband went to a concert. She has two daughters, 6 and 8...and they were hard to put to bed. It reminded me exactly why i DON'T babysit. I can handle kids I know, but kids I don't know is another story. Ugh. My roommate came with me and she knew how to handle little kids so she took over most of the time. Thank God the girls were scared of her. Ha. It was our first night also to eat junk food! The American woman took out snacks for us. We didn't get paid - instead we got a box of Belgium chocolates - better than money. :)


Good news! I emailed the assistant principal (ex-teacher at my high school) of SCMS and told him that I was interested in working for their school. He told me to send a cover letter, resume, and application. I really want this job so I can be closer to my family. 


Bad news: I didn't work out today. :(


Friday: Took forever for me to wake up. I went to go watch another movie - Ante. It's a Filipino film in Tagalog and I was soooo happy that I could still understand everything they were saying. The movie was a little bit over an hour, and it wasn't bad. I guess I just suck at criticizing. Ha. But I did go through another part of the city that I've never been in so that was exciting! There are so many theaters in Rotterdam! 


When I got home, I cleaned up my room and organized my life. :) Then, my roommate and I went to school. I had a checklist to do, and I checked off most of it besides starting on my portfolio. It's taking me forever to start on my portfolio. Ugh. Anyways, I worked on my cover letter, resume, and the application. I also worked on my resume online. I'm trying to apply to as many school as possible. I've decided to stay home for 2 years and later try and teach abroad. 


I also booked my Germany trip over Easter break, and Poland trip for another weekend. My original plan was to do both over Easter break, but the transportation to Poland was insanely high. All I want to do is visit Auschwitz, so I just decided to dedicate a full weekend for Auschwitz. :)


My mom had a test today. I hope she did well. I've been talking to my parents a lot. I miss them...and my dog. 


Oh, and I tried to do laundry for the first time and the washer took two of my coins. I was pissed to say the least. I wrote an email of complaint to the company that owns the building asking for a refund and how they should have a "not working" sign on the washer. Ugh. I really don't like this apartment...at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment