Monday, February 15, 2010

Netherhurry!

Monday: the beginning of my 2 week unit teaching = exhausted already

So here's my schedule this week in the classroom:
Monday - WASP Report
Tuesday - Grammar
Thursday - Literature

I've realized a long time ago that my 5th years love discussions and engaging activities so I sat on the computer planning a lesson plan for 2 hours straight. I wanted to make sure that the students will be engaged the whole entire time. 

5h4: We read Mix-n-Match. I did a chalk talk with them, agreement circles, hot seat, pairing, and dividing up the questions. They loved it! They had the same reaction as my 10 year olds when I did hot seat with them. They were so excited! The students got my sense of humor, and we had a great time discussing things. 

5h3: We read The Numerati. I did number tricks with them, group work, presentations, adverbs, give me an answer (don't know what else to call it - I gave answers to five students so that they will participate when I call their name). The Numerati wasn't as exciting, and the students didn't really like the article much. I don't blame them, I didn't like it either - BUT they didn't know that.

I gave both classes an option of either taking a test and going over it or playing a game, participating, and leaving class early. :) Of course, they chose the second option. So game playing on Tuesday for grammar - here we come!


4h4: Verbal Practice: Moving Questions where I provided controversial topics for students to ask each other. It actually got a lot of them talking and participating. +++ For the other class, we read How About Hugs? and had a discussion. This class is a little rough on the edges, and there are four students that ruin it for everyone. I got a little bit upset with the class, and I told them that if they wanted to act like children, I will treat them like children - meaning the next person to say something inappropriate will stand in the corner with their nose in the corner. I normally hate doing this but it got them to be quiet. I've literally tried everything I can to deal with classroom management, but nothing seems to work. :( I've tried at least 7 different things with them already. 


I also worked on my other lesson plans for the remedial English teacher because I'm also teaching her 1st year students. I enjoy these classes because the students are still super excited about everything. I did get away from teaching the 4h4 class to teach my adorable 1st years. 


Hm. Enough about classwork. Apparently, I'm giving off the vibe that I'm the party girl because I talk a lot and am very friendly. Ashton is the mommy figure - the responsible one. Ugh. Maybe I should just stop talking to everyone. 


My bike apparently sucks at life. My lights won't work because the battery is already dead, and my tire is flat. (That's why it hurt so bad to cycle today. Ugh.)


The weather was pretty today, and it's supposed to get warmer towards the end of the week. 


Lazy moment of the day: I planned on taking a 30 min nap (because I'm just so tired for some reason) and ended up sleeping through my ZUMBA class. I also just stayed in bed for a while and waited until later to do my ab workout and pushups. 


I'm off to read before I go to sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment